An SMS keyword is a specific word that can be sent to a short code to trigger a pre-defined action/response. It allows for using a common short code for multiple messaging services. For example, a bank may publish a short code and ask its customers to text-in ‘BALANCE’ to get their savings account balance, and text-in ‘LOAN’ to the same short code to get information on home loan offers.
Keywords can be of provisioned on private as well as shared short codes. In case you own a short code, you can define any number of keywords on it and use them exclusively for your brand/company. Alternatively, you can buy just the keyword mapped with a shared short code and reduce your costs.
Here are the steps for buying an SMS keyword using IMIconnect:
- Visit 'Numbers' from the main navigation menu
- Click on 'Get Numbers > Keyword'
- Select the desired country name and click 'Next'
- Enter preferred keyword and check for availability
- Select your preferred option from the displayed list and confirm purchase